Skip to main content

School, Summer Camp, Goodbyes, and Hellos


So I am so excited to be back teaching again after the break. I always enjoy spending time with my family, and the downtime (which is hardly downtime during the holidays), but look forward to seeing my kids again. Anyways, we have come to the end of the semester, which is bittersweet. My philosophy on teaching centers around many different themes, including: Praise the actions that you want to see repeated, make the classroom a summer camp, create a model of success that is 100% dependent on successful group interaction, don't take any shit, play music, and give students choices whenever you can, and have fun, dammit. I fail at much of this, but when it works out it creates an amazing little summer camplike community in the classes. So, when the class somes to an end, it is difficult for all of us. Pictures are taken, memories are recounted, commemorative t-shirts are printed, hugs are given, and goodbyes are said. It sounds dramatic, especially considering that we will most likely still see each other in the hallways of the school, but the class is over - and the class is what is so great. So it is hard. But, we are also excited about the next semester, new classes, and new opportunities.

At the conclusion of the class, I always call the parents of my better students. It is a short phone call just to tell them how great their kid is, and how I appreciate it. I call it the "happy graham." It is so fun to do, maybe the most enjoyable thing I do all year at school. To hear how happy the parent is to know that their kid is doing well is simply beautiful. When I was completing my student teaching at UNCG, I made a list of things I wanted to always remember to do as a teacher. The list was rooted in aspects of teaching that I experienced with my very best teachers (and included boring, but practical, things like using maps, get to know your students, write your own tests, try to smile a lot, etc). On the top of that list was: praise kids for good things. But still, writing that at 19 years old, I was basically guessing. The thing is, I am now in my 8th year of teaching public high school - and that maxim remains the truest thing I have ever experienced in education.

Comments

Hello Ben,

I am friends with Jessica from graduate school. In fact, we just met up the other day and had some great Indian food.

As a teacher, I wanted to say that I really enjoyed your comments about teaching. When I was first hired as a new faculty member my department head wrote me a note saying, "We're going to have so much fun."

Well, that has been the philosophy at Capella (my university) and it seems to be similar for you. Anyway, I am rambling but I wanted to say I enjoyed reading your post and I, too, try to have fun and remember my students my name. Ah... the little things.

Thanks,

Kathryn
Ben said…
Kathryn,
Thanks for the comment. It is sometimes very difficult to talk/write about teaching without it coming across as just SO cheesy, ya know? It certainly sounds like you have a great situation at Capella though, so I guess we will just keep trying to matter.
- Ben

Popular posts from this blog

Burrito Bracket

Eating a ginormous burrito at El Farolito in San Francisco, 2004 I LOVE burritos.  It is a passion that I share with my brother, and we actively seek out a quality burrito in almost every place we visit (Jessica is more of a Fish Taco kind of gal, but she enjoys burritos as well).  My love affair began around the age of 18, in the parking lots of Phish shows - where I could find any number of amazing burritos, cooked up on a dirty Coleman stove.  I just loved the explosion of flavor (and surprise) that came with each burrito I ate in those years. One of the the first times I visited Asheville for a few days in college, I came across Rio Burrito, a now defunct burrito-specific shop on Biltmore Avenue.  I went there all the time, and got to know all the nice folk who worked there.  So, I was quite disappointed when they shut it down - so much so that I wrote about it here.   But when Mamacitas opened in downtown Asheville in Spring 2004, I was smitten...

Best of 2024

Ben Graham's 2024 Mixtape (The Best Songs of {mostly} 2024) Can You See Me Tonight  - Good Looks Misses - Domnic Fike Birdseed  - Merce Lemon Right Back to it - Waxahatchee Alien - Dehd When I Learned Your Name - Daniel Romano Away From the Castle  - Video Age One Bad Day - Spacey Jane That's What Time Does - Oso Oso Never Meant - Iron and Wine Big Blue - Hovvdy Deeper Well - Kacey Musgraves Where Were You - Tyler Ramsey Waiting and Waiting - Bonny Light Horseman She's Leaving You - MJ Lenderman Sexy to Someone - Clairo Stained Glass Window - Sunday 1994 Flowers - Real Estate Taste  - Sabrina Carpenter Run Your Mouth - Marias All I Ever Wanted  - Ivy LUNCH - Billie Eilish That's How I'm Feeling - Jack White Jerkin - Amyl & The Sniffers Burning (Live...Again) - War in Drugs Top Albums of 2024: Lived Here For a While  by Good Looks Poetry  by Dehd Watch Me Drive Them Dogs Wild  by Merce Lemon Tigers Blood  - Waxahatchee To...

Im 30....seriously.

I am turning 30 today. So in the spirit of reflecting on these first 30 years of living, I am starting this blog. So, to begin - I shall update my status in life (this sounds complicated, so I will just try this in "list form."): Noah = greatest thing that ever happened to me. having a child was like an act of god, immediatly enacting a revolution on my perspective. Everyone tells you that " it is going to change everything." But I think I internalized that in a way that seemed to say ... things outside of me would change ie: schedules, sleeping, finaces, etc. Those things do change. But I did not accept that it would be ME that would go through the most profound changes. What I mean is, that the world itself has not shifted, but my view of that world (like Picasso in his Cubist period) has been transformed. It has been a traumatic shift for me, but in a beautiful way. Stop everything. "Icky Thump" by the White Stripes just came on the ipod. Sweet Jesus t...