I was speaking with an old friend of mine on the phone a few days ago. We have been good friends since we were in college together at UNCG. We became friends for many reasons, most of which include a shared sense of humor, a deep appreciation for Northern Exposure, a love of hiking, and a deep seeded devotion to enjoying college. Since that time, our lives have taken different directions, yet we have always managed to stay in touch. Since I graduated and moved to Asheville in the summer of 1999, we have never lived in the same place. That was almost ten years ago, and since then we have watched each other navigate the "adult world" including: marriage, moving, careers, exercise regiments, political change of hearts, and religious questions. I do not speak with him enough. It always seems like I do not have much time to talk, when we do talk. We live pretty different lifestyles. He drives me crazy more then half the time, and I am sure that I drive him crazy as well, but I love him fully - even though somtimes I do not fully understand him.
So this last year has been particularly trying for him. He has dealt with the breakup up his marriage, living in a new city, changing jobs, and a loss of confidence. During our last conversation he told me that his new girlfriend had come to visit him for a few days, and that she wanted to attend the Unitarian Church while there. They went together last sunday. He went on to explain, with gusto, that he had finally found a place that expressed the same feeling of religiosity that he had believed for many years. He sounded happy, and purposeful as he spoke. I am not one to speak publicly about the pros and/or cons of organized religion, much less to speak of prostelytizing, but my friend found a place where he felt he belonged, at least for a moment. I am happy for him. Beautiful.
So this last year has been particularly trying for him. He has dealt with the breakup up his marriage, living in a new city, changing jobs, and a loss of confidence. During our last conversation he told me that his new girlfriend had come to visit him for a few days, and that she wanted to attend the Unitarian Church while there. They went together last sunday. He went on to explain, with gusto, that he had finally found a place that expressed the same feeling of religiosity that he had believed for many years. He sounded happy, and purposeful as he spoke. I am not one to speak publicly about the pros and/or cons of organized religion, much less to speak of prostelytizing, but my friend found a place where he felt he belonged, at least for a moment. I am happy for him. Beautiful.
Comments