This week is "cleaning, taping, priming, and painting both of our bathrooms week." It is a lot of hard work and completes our saga of having painted EVERY room in our house (many of them more than once) over the last 5 years. But we are putting our house on the market, and yadda yadda yadda. . . In the meantime the city of Asheville is destroying our backyard. I looked out our window today and it looked like a scene from Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (I mean, I saw two men enter - but only one man left. . .). They are putting in new waterlines and new storm runoff infrastructure, so it is cool. The coolest thing is that we had to agree to it before they could dig it up , and they have to pay us rent for use of our land. Not too shabby, huh?
Noah is enjoying the bulldozers, chainsaws, and general action that is occurring. His imagination is running off the charts lately! I mean, it seems like every moment of the day he is pretending, imagining, roleplaying, etc. And Noah does not discriminate based upon gender either - he's a little drag queen. He will put on a fluffy dress as fast as he will hit you in the head with a stick (which he always calls a light saber). He sees no distinction between Star Wars, Cinderella, Thomas the Train, Mermaids, or Scooby-Doo - he loves them all. And it is cool, because he should. It is also healthy for me to have to face my preconceptions about gender. I see what he is doing through a very specific prism of which he has no knowledge. And I believe that he is defining this world as he goes. It is quite beautiful to see, and it will be hard to watch him adapt to our dominant paradigms as he ages. But, I mean, i'm not going to lie: I liked Titanic as much as Saving Private Ryan. Oh yeah, I love When Harry Met Sally AND I went to Lillith Fair (which was one of the best concerts I have attended. I have loved the Indigo Girls for most of my life and have seen them about 6-7 times. They did not disappoint, nor did Sussana Hoffs, or Sarah McLachlan.) in 1997. Yeah, I said it.In the end, Noah pursues fun. And his pursuit is endless and adventuresome. I just feel lucky to have a part in his play. (I play "Daddy").
Comments