We have enjoyed an amazing long (and snowy) weekend, mostly in Winston-Salem - with the fam. We headed down that way in order to take Avery and Noah to their first Moravian Candle Tea - which is this totally rad historic "tea" in the restored village of Old Salem. You spend about 45 minutes in the Single Brothers House (constructed c. 1769), where everyone sings carols, eats sugar cake, drinks coffee, makes candles, etc. Noah had a grand time, and Avery got to hang out with his Paw Paw - so he was contented.I love Old Salem, and while we had traveled to Winston for the Candle Tea - we just decided to have a totally Winston-Salemesque weekend. We went to to the original Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (which did originate, and is still based in W-S), and tore it up - complete with sweet hats. We filled our fat bellies at TJ's Deli, and spent a while at the W-S Children's Museum, and took in the awesomeness that is the giant coffee pot. Noah always says that Winston-Salem is "so old." Growing up there, I never gave that much
consideration - but it is old, and restored, and folks there are extremely proud of their history - whether it be Old Salem, Camel Cigarettes, Wake Forest, or Krispy Kreme. I guess more of that historic pride rubbed off on me than I cared to admit for most of my life. But it is good for my soul to witness my kid's appreciation for it now.
consideration - but it is old, and restored, and folks there are extremely proud of their history - whether it be Old Salem, Camel Cigarettes, Wake Forest, or Krispy Kreme. I guess more of that historic pride rubbed off on me than I cared to admit for most of my life. But it is good for my soul to witness my kid's appreciation for it now.While there, it snowed quite a bit here in Asheville, and the weather became downright frightful (windchill = -2, ouch!). So we were greeted with some general nastiness upon our return to the mountains yesterday. But after another brewing a pot of coffee, and building a huge fire - everyone was toasty and playful
Comments