Came across this in Skirt Magazine last week:"We believe so firmly in all kinds of things that aren’t actually visible to the naked eye—gravity, bacteria, family obligations, impending disaster, friendship, deep space. We give credence to rumors, bosses’ evaluations, newspaper headlines, chain letters, gossip. Why, then, is it so difficult to have faith?
Real faith, it seems to me, is the hardest work there is. It develops slowly from complex, messy, exhausting struggles. Sometimes faith is a leap, but more often it’s putting one foot in front of another on an impossibly shaky rope bridge, trying not to look down. "
I placed this quotation on our refrigerator before we departed for the Holidays, and when I am frustrated or overwhelmed by things - I read it. And it helps. A lot. This Christmas holiday has inevitably brought about plenty of frustrating and exhausting struggles, but they were cushioned beautifully by the loving embrace of my family. I have always found it easy to remain hopeful and fairly calm in most situations, but over the past while I had noticed my patience running thin. And Patience has always been a serious weakness of mine. Before I became a teacher, I even asked my mother what I should try to improve before I began teaching, and she said, "Well honey, you may want to try to be a bit more patient with people." It was some of the best advice I have ever been given. And though I have certainly mentioned this before, having two children under the age of six, while traveling for 5 days over the holidays, can be exhausting and frustrating - and tested my patience. (which, we can all agree, I suck at)
And, it was at this point that I realized I have to simply have faith that whatever frustration or general impatience that I feel will pass, and that everything will be great. In the meantime I have to do whatever I can do, then leave it alone, and look forward.
Do what I can do, and leave it alone.
How do you do it?
How do you do it?
Comments