You know how when you begin to pay attention, the world begins to present things to you that seem to have a pattern? Almost like the universe is begging you to take notice? I have been feeling that way for months, and this morning I received another dose of "wake up." Allow me to set the stage a bit: I just returned from a very "Winston-Salem-o-rama" weekend (as mentioned in this previous post), I have been in a super-reflective mood about family and community and place - and this frigid weather has me thinking about food all of the time.So, this morning, NPR interviewed Winston-Salem's favorite author, Maya Angelou. And what was she talking about, you ask? Food, family, and community. Seriously.
As she was discussing the importance of sitting down at a common table with family to eat meals, she said, "I'm concerned that Americans are losing that place of meeting," she says. "There are very few times we can be more intimate as to share food together." So, as always this got my wheels turning a bit. I have never thought of sharing meals at a common table as a moment of intimacy - but it is.
I grew up eating at the table with my family each night, and our little family shares a meal every night at the table - mostly thanks to Jessica's insistence a few years ago. I love it so much, and look forward to it every night. Each evening, after we start to eat, each family member (except Avery - who is just learning) discusses his/her favorite moment of the day. It is usually a fun and lighthearted moment, but sometimes it can be quite poignant. And my favorite moments throughout each week, are so often times when I am enjoying a meal with friends or family. It just always seems that the conversations are better, and we are all on our most polite behavior at meal time, doesn't it? So let's eat!
Comments