Skip to main content

Taking What the World Gives You.

It is really hard for me to welcome the first days of springtime in the mountains without thinking constantly about rebirth - and rising from the ashes. Couple that with the fact that we are moving into a new house, and I feel like the entire earth is coming up to meet me. There is a great Irish toast about the road rising to meet your feet (Upon a quick google search, it actually is "May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back. . . "), that is how I feel presently. And it is beautiful to feel something bigger than me, like the change of seasons, surrounding me. But it can also feel unsettling - as I feel very much in limbo. I mean, we have not actually left our house yet, and we have not moved into our new house yet. Winter weather seems to be over, but everything is not totally in bloom either. But there exists much promise these days, and thus, I feel surrounded by hope.

It is fair to say that both Jessica and I started this week with some anxiety. As we move closer to all of this newness - we are just so busy. But, again, I am trying to take what the world gives me. And the world gave us a gift. In the midst of our crazy-busy Monday, my brother Matt called to tell me that he has to work in Asheville for the rest of this week. We immediately made plans to eat dinner together every night, and also take in some basketball, and maybe play a round of disc golf. Having my brother (who is also my best buddy) in my town for the week is just the elixir I needed to make my week go down a bit more smoothly. Taking what the world gives you.


In the meantime, we are packing up, and giving lots of excess away to folks who need it more than we do right now. It feels good, and pretty liberating. I feel more at home when I am able to make plans. And though this past year has taught me more than most that my plans are arbitrary, and that I must be patient and greet life as it comes - it still makes me feel good to daydream about painting my new house.


We went to our new house yesterday to take some measurements, and get some estimates. While there, we met our new neighbors. Like us, they are a family of four - and we are looking forward to living out our lives next door to them. Per our conversation, we found that we are already connected to them in a tangled and wonderfully interconnected web of school, church, friendships, Winston-Salem, and families. I can now literally see our family in this house. I see the beautiful ones running around in the upstairs rumpus room. I hear the laughter, Dave Matthews band, and Sigur Ros chiming through those drafty 1927 windows. I can smell the coffee brewing at 5:30 am. I can hear the rain on the roof of the front porch. So, Jessica and I both left the new house as excited as ever, and filled with hope and feelings of newness.

Comments