It seems like some of the most important directions of my life were established at summer camps. Laurel Ridge, in Ashe County NC, was my go-to camp for most of my youth, as I spent many, many summers and retreats there. But when I was 15 years old, I accepted an invitation to attend a Young Life Camp at Windy Gap - in Weaverville NC. I was very involved in my Youth Group at Home Moravian Church, but this was my first time doing anything with Young Life. I had a magnificent time, and met a lot of incredible people - mostly from Charlotte. I took the religious aspect of it seriously, but the outward nature of YL's approach did take me aback. At that time in my life, I was playing a lot of soccer (Notice my "gameface" in the awkward pregame photo), and even more punk rock music - so my trip to Windy Gap was a unique escape from my everyday routines.The thing I remember the most about that trip was how much I loved the mountains, and surrounding landscape. It just felt like home, and it felt comfortable. That trip also marks the first time I visited Asheville. I returned home knowing that someday I would be back. I had to go back. So, when Jessica and I moved to Asheville in the summer of 1999, I took an interview at this high school north of Asheville. While driving to the interview, I was about to turn into the school parking lot when I noticed a
sign that said "Windy Gap, A Young Life Camp." I remember having an amazing feeling come over me when I realized that this school is just up the road from Windy Gap, which was (by any stretch) the place of my welcoming to these mountains of Western North Carolina. I got the job, and have been teaching here ever since then.
sign that said "Windy Gap, A Young Life Camp." I remember having an amazing feeling come over me when I realized that this school is just up the road from Windy Gap, which was (by any stretch) the place of my welcoming to these mountains of Western North Carolina. I got the job, and have been teaching here ever since then.And so now it is that I have many students, and their families, who work and serve at Windy Gap, and share a community with many people who are involved in its mission. I have been there quite a few times in the past 12 years (our school celebrates its Senior Day there) - and each time I feel the wonder that I initially felt there in 1992. I am not in any way affiliated, or engaged with Young Life these days. but I consider it a great gift of my life that I travelled to Windy Gap many years ago. I left there knowing that this place could cradle me, and fulfill me like few other places. And in just over two weeks, when my family officially becomes residents of Weaverville - it is (in some ways) merely a belated return.
Comments
Though the particular bent of YoungLife's theology was never a good fit for me, it was a lot of fun.
So glad you (and Jessica) found your way back to this beautiful place we call Asheville.