So I used to be in this band called Callies Paw from 1995 through 1999. It was a great time of my life, and one that I remember with much affection. Basically, it allowed me to write and record songs with three of my best friends, and then travel around the Carolinas playing those songs for more of our friends. We played predominantly at colleges and clubs in Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and surrounding areas. But we also ventured to Charlotte, Boone, and Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill was always one of our favorite haunts for a few reasons:A. Superchunk is from there.
B. We had a lot of friends there. and,
C. Pepper's Pizza.
So it was with much enthusiasm that my good buddy Jeff and I headed down to Chapel Hill this past Friday to see Superchunk, and get our grub on at Pepper's. My amazing wife agreed to handle our beautiful (but wild) children for the evening, even though she is a HUGE fan of both Superchunk and Pepper's (read about our last trip to the Cat's Cradle here). (She picked up at least 25 bonus wife points for that play.) Jeff and I ate like pigs, had some great conversations about music, the role of government, what defines a Senior Military school, houses, and more music. We then took in what amounted to another phenomenal (and sold out) Superchunk show at the Cradle. It was great to be with someone who respects great live bands as much as I do, and we enjoyed ourselves.
The fam and I spent the remainder of the weekend in Winston, taking in some ACC basketball, and watching my children get thoroughly spoiled. Jessica and my Mom were even able to work in a shopping trip to Hanes Mall without children, and yet somehow made it out of Pottery Barn without spending any money. crazy.
Comments