We had a great Mother's day weekend, and really celebrated Jessica for being Jessica.
We spent the entire weekend outside, and with good friends. So, with that continued feeling of levity, I chose this morning to do something for the first time ever. I rode my bike to work. And it was great. . . and sort of hard actually.
I now live about two (somewhat hilly) miles from my school, so a bike ride is an obvious choice - especially on a nice Spring morning. But a few things had to happen to place me in a position for this to be a reality. The first thing that needed to happen was that I needed my own bike.
You see, while at college at UNC Greensboro, I rode my bike all the time, all over the place - but once we moved to Asheville, and I started teaching - my bike began to collect dust and rust. At some point I gave it away. But Jessica (who also rode her bike quite a bit during school) kept her good ol' men's Trek. So, over the years, if either of us needed a bike, we shared that one - but Jessica was always clear to point out that it was actually her bike.
So, for Mother's Day, the boys and I got Jessica a sweet retro cruiser bike (complete with fenders!) for pedaling around our (pretty flat) neighborhood, to the bakery, and to cafes. (This is a very French thing for Jessica to do - which is exactly why she wanted to do it so badly). She had been wanting one of these for years - so we were more than happy to oblige her. This enabled me to officially adopt the Trek for my pedaling pleasure. And I know it is really mine because Jessica told me that I could remove the Ani Difranco sticker if I really wanted to.
So, off to school I pedaled this morning. And it felt fantastic to breath in the mountian air, and watch the sun peek over Hamburg mountain. I realize that last sentence almost sounds a little too fluffy - but living here sometimes makes me speak in cliches - because cliches actually come from somewhere - and the mountains in the morning is one of those places from which cliches derive, don't ya think?
We spent the entire weekend outside, and with good friends. So, with that continued feeling of levity, I chose this morning to do something for the first time ever. I rode my bike to work. And it was great. . . and sort of hard actually.I now live about two (somewhat hilly) miles from my school, so a bike ride is an obvious choice - especially on a nice Spring morning. But a few things had to happen to place me in a position for this to be a reality. The first thing that needed to happen was that I needed my own bike.
You see, while at college at UNC Greensboro, I rode my bike all the time, all over the place - but once we moved to Asheville, and I started teaching - my bike began to collect dust and rust. At some point I gave it away. But Jessica (who also rode her bike quite a bit during school) kept her good ol' men's Trek. So, over the years, if either of us needed a bike, we shared that one - but Jessica was always clear to point out that it was actually her bike.
So, for Mother's Day, the boys and I got Jessica a sweet retro cruiser bike (complete with fenders!) for pedaling around our (pretty flat) neighborhood, to the bakery, and to cafes. (This is a very French thing for Jessica to do - which is exactly why she wanted to do it so badly). She had been wanting one of these for years - so we were more than happy to oblige her. This enabled me to officially adopt the Trek for my pedaling pleasure. And I know it is really mine because Jessica told me that I could remove the Ani Difranco sticker if I really wanted to.

So, off to school I pedaled this morning. And it felt fantastic to breath in the mountian air, and watch the sun peek over Hamburg mountain. I realize that last sentence almost sounds a little too fluffy - but living here sometimes makes me speak in cliches - because cliches actually come from somewhere - and the mountains in the morning is one of those places from which cliches derive, don't ya think?
Comments