For Noah's 8th birthday, we travelled to Sevierville, TN this past weekend, and spent two days at an indoor water park, Wilderness at the Smokies. It was incredible, and rarely have I seen that much joy emanate from Noah's young face. It really made me appreciate the moment, and the beauty of youth. I love celebrating him.
As we were returning from our great trip, my brother called. It was one of those phone calls that we never want to get. He told me that his wife, my sister in law Jennifer, had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Since then we have learned that she has invasive Lobular Carcinoma, and will undergo a double mastectomy in the coming weeks. She also has markers for Lobular Carcinoma in Situ - which means that it is likely she will get breast cancer in her other breast at some point. To that end, she is having a double mastectomy. Our whole family is in a daze about it all at this point, but everyone is full of hope. And hope is beautiful.
As we were returning from our great trip, my brother called. It was one of those phone calls that we never want to get. He told me that his wife, my sister in law Jennifer, had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Since then we have learned that she has invasive Lobular Carcinoma, and will undergo a double mastectomy in the coming weeks. She also has markers for Lobular Carcinoma in Situ - which means that it is likely she will get breast cancer in her other breast at some point. To that end, she is having a double mastectomy. Our whole family is in a daze about it all at this point, but everyone is full of hope. And hope is beautiful.
Personally, it is my hope that I can be the most supportive brother/friend I can ever be during this time. I hope I can be selfless. I hope that my brother and sister in law can feel lifted up by all of us around them, and that they when they struggle to find hope - those of us around them will find it for them. I hope I can be all of these things in the coming months.
Jennifer has started using the Friday Night Lights quote (above) to push her through. It is appropriate and apt. She is going to fight like hell. She can't lose.
Jennifer has started using the Friday Night Lights quote (above) to push her through. It is appropriate and apt. She is going to fight like hell. She can't lose.

Comments