I am always grateful for my community, but it is most apparent on Halloween. We live in a neighborhood that was built in the 1920s (like everything else in Buncombe County). Like most neighborhoods that are almost 100 years old, our community has gone through cycles. But these days, there are many, many young families (like ours) moving into these old memory-laden houses. And most of these families are creating new memories, and are actively engaged in the community. We are sending our kids to the local schools, lending each other sugar, and supporting local businesses.
And at Halloween, we all go all in. We commit. And the entire northern Buncombe county area acknowledges this commitment, by coming to our neighborhood in droves on Halloween night. Yes, droves. I love it, and we are happy to host.
This year, Noah was a "soultaker" and Avery was Annakin Skywalker. Jessica and I were punk rockers. We handed out candy to over (something like) 750 kids, but we lost count almost immediately. My sister, Mom, and Dad all come up for the festivities, and we all had a great time. I am already looking forward to next year.
I can't wait.
Comments