I am not too big on New Years resolutions, but Jessica recently asked me if I had a word for the year. I do not have a single word that will hopefully drive my thinking, but I do have two: Be Present.Long distance runners have a saying that encourages folks to "run the mile you are in." Basically, I have learned enough about myself to know that I am most healthy (both personally and spiritually) when I take life in small bites. When I am actually running, or just waking up in the morning - smaller is better. Long term goals continue to play an important role for me, as far as marking my progress and tracking my path - like mileposts. But I am happiest when I take it one day at a time, and surrender most of my control to the world. I hope that this next year will see my life in smaller steps.
I have enjoyed reflecting on 2013, and how my life changed in those twelve months. Mostly, the year was full of balancing forces at work. Our extended family struggled with Jennifer's cancer diagnosis, as well as my Dad's ongoing struggle with dementia. On the flip side, My family has grown closer than ever, and Jessica's sister gave birth to a beautiful baby boy (which led to our longest, successful, family road trip ever, to Ohio). So, 2013 was a great year of learning and growing. I don't think I could ask for much more. I am grateful for it. But I am ready to wrap it up and put it away as well.
Onward to more adventures.
Comments