While growing up in Winston-Salem, there was this kid named Dallas who was one of the most motivated kids I knew. While in high school, I played in punk rock bands, like most every other teenager I knew then. (I wrote about it here, a few years back.) Dallas booked almost every show we played. He rented out VFWs, made fliers, and published zines - all in an effort to promote great, local, punk rock bands. He and I were not close friends - acquaintances at best, but I always respected his energy and hustle. So, it was not with surprise - but more with confirmation, that I discovered his series of "children's" books recently. Jessica and I bought two of his books An Awesome Book, and An Awesome Book of Thanks for the boys for Christmas. I read both books to the kids, but found that I was the one who was most inspired and impressed.
It is fair to say that The Awesome Book of Thanks is currently my favorite book. As readers know, I am a big fan of gratitude journals (hence my writing this little blog), because I believe that it helps each of us recognize that gratitude turns what we have into enough. I (for one) often need the reminder, and this book sums up that very concept in a manner that can speak to both grownups and children alike. That is impressive, and downright magical.
If you need a nudge to check it out, consider yourself nudged.. .
Comments