School is a huge part of our lives in this family. I have lived my life according to the academic calendar continuously since I was 5 years old. As a student I always enjoyed school, and I continue to enjoy school as a teacher. This past Wednesday I had the opportunity to visit my alma mater of UNCG, while this morning was Kindergarten registration for our little Avery. So for the first time in our lives, starting in August all four of us will be in public schools every day.
That has made for a week of reflection on the role that school plays in our family life.
As far as my education goes - I am still thankful that my 18 year old self chose to attend UNCG. I met inspirational friends there, learned, and grew so much. Most importantly, I met my wife while there. Almost immediately after I graduated I moved to Asheville - so I rarely get back to UNCG.
I was in Greensboro briefly yesterday, to attend some meetings concerning my parent's health, and to ask some legal questions about their future as caregivers and/or patients. It was a day of fairly heavy emotional lifting for me, so I jumped at the chance to visit UNCG afterwards.
Every time I return to UNCG, I am struck by its beauty - it just looks like a ..well..college. There are lots of green spaces/quads. All of the buildings are brick, and beautiful (Georgian architecture). The landscaping is top notch, with fountains and old trees in abundance. It is a great place to spend one's collegiate years, and I always jump at the chance to sing its praises. On this particular visit - I could not stop taking pictures (not a surprise). It made for a great day, rife with great feelings.

So this morning when we took Avery to register for Kindergarten at our neighborhood school - it was yet another scholastic-themed emotional experience. On one hand, I am so excited to see him start his formal education. He is so excited, and being a younger sibling, knows the ropes already. He saw Noah's former kindergarten teacher today and remembering her well - said, "You remember my brother?" She laughed. He seems ready.
But on the other hand - he is our baby boy - and he is growing up, and has become his own person. Attending public school certainly helps to cement that individualism that kids develop by age 5, and I assume that Avery's experience will be no exception. That is hard, and beautiful to see.
But I am mostly filled with gratitude. All of these academic experiences have shaped me personally into much more than I could have become alone. I truly believe that our children's experiences in school will have a similar effect. I love being in an academic environment, surrounded by curiosity and new ideas. So helping Avery start his journey in that environment makes my heart beat a little bit faster today.
Comments