Do you see how happy and content Noah and I look in this pic? We were, at that moment. And to be fair, we most often remain happy. But sometimes parenting is harder than hell. (Like when Noah has a mental breakdown in target, or throws chocolate milk all over the couch, or will not sleep, or just feels like screaming instead of talking.) It is in the tough times that we need a community of people who can empathize with our pathetic attempt to raise a child. This most likely explains why so many people have kids, and then only hang out with people who have kids. I used to think that was weird. But, like most things in my life that I completely miss initially, I sort of understand it now. We are lucky enough to have this community, consisting of both friends and our family. But, this website http://www.parenthacks.com/ is one of the coolest links ever to help all of us parents deal with the "challenging moments." While redefining what art is (at the height of his Cubist period), Picassso said that, "Bad artists imitate. Great artists steal." Whether I am teaching, using google, parenting, throwing frisbees, buying shoes, or playing guitar - I now realize that I do not have to reinvent the wheel - I just need to find, and use, the most effective wheels out there. I have to trust that my choice of combinations, and the way I use these wheels will become art.
Do you see how happy and content Noah and I look in this pic? We were, at that moment. And to be fair, we most often remain happy. But sometimes parenting is harder than hell. (Like when Noah has a mental breakdown in target, or throws chocolate milk all over the couch, or will not sleep, or just feels like screaming instead of talking.) It is in the tough times that we need a community of people who can empathize with our pathetic attempt to raise a child. This most likely explains why so many people have kids, and then only hang out with people who have kids. I used to think that was weird. But, like most things in my life that I completely miss initially, I sort of understand it now. We are lucky enough to have this community, consisting of both friends and our family. But, this website http://www.parenthacks.com/ is one of the coolest links ever to help all of us parents deal with the "challenging moments." While redefining what art is (at the height of his Cubist period), Picassso said that, "Bad artists imitate. Great artists steal." Whether I am teaching, using google, parenting, throwing frisbees, buying shoes, or playing guitar - I now realize that I do not have to reinvent the wheel - I just need to find, and use, the most effective wheels out there. I have to trust that my choice of combinations, and the way I use these wheels will become art.
Comments