My buddy Jeff just sent me an email that said, "Charlatans at the Orange Peel on Oct 4th.....Tickets on Friday."For most of you, this is a simple exchange, detailing a musical event at our local club. But for me, this is a revelation. Let me explain:
My parents bought me my first CD player when I was in the 8th Grade at John F. Kennedy Middle School. Within minutes of this, I asked them to drive me to The Record Exchange to buy "Some Friendly" - the debut record by the Charlatans UK. I wore that CD out over the next few years, and continued to follow them throughout my life. I wanted to see them so badly it was ridiculous, but the closest they came was Atlanta, and I could not even drive yet. You see, the Charlatans UK are not very popular here in the good ol' U.S. of A. (thus, they hardly ever play shows on this side of the pond), but they are still playing stadiums in the UK. So, when I went to England in 1994, I navigated my way along the London Underground to find the nearest record store, so that I could finally buy a Charlatans UK t-shirt (I still have it, and wear it often).
So, not only are the Charlatans coming to the USA, but they are coming to my hometown, 4 miles away from my house, at the Orange Peel - and I will be there. And I am excited.
Comments