I am so excited about the World Cup, I hardly know what to do. Since age 4, soccer has always played an important part in my life.I was heavily influenced by my older brother Matt, and he took up soccer at an early age. So, the minute I was of age (age 5), I was signed up for the Winston-Salem Optimist Club Youth Soccer program. My first team was the Rangers.
I have loved (and played) the game ever since: playing a bit in high school, intramurals at UNCG, at the YMCA - and later coaching at NBHS, and playing here as an adult in Asheville. But as a global history dork - I simply love the world cup for what it is - an expression of peaceful internationalism through soccer. That is so badass (though the British conquest of 1/4 of all people on earth may have helped the spread a bit).
The first WC was in Uruguay in 1930, and it has essentially captivated the world ever since. And that is the thing: In the world of World Cup, there is no difference in Uruguay, the USA, North Korea, Germany, South Africa, or Cameroon.
Each nation just wants to play soccer. And I just want to watch it. Beautiful.
Each nation just wants to play soccer. And I just want to watch it. Beautiful.
Comments