Our family LOVES Toy Story 3. As an adult, I have never been a huge fan of kid movies, per se. But when Noah and I first went to see Toy Story 3, I cried like a baby. And I have really put much effort into not forcing my children into liking the same thing that I find of interest. (The most notable example of my restraint is my learning to be okay with the fact that neither of my boys is particularly fascinated with the Star Wars saga. I am okay. seriously. It has no impact on me. Doesn't even bother me to talk about it. :) But to be honest with you, I am stoked that both Noah and Avery truly love Toy Story - especially Jessie, Woody, and Buzz.Avery loves Buzz Lightyear - and loves to yell "BUZZ!" Noah, on the other hand, has a Jessie doll that literally goes everywhere with him. And he really loves her, even makes beds for her sometimes - and tucks her in at night. Noah is not concerned with what she is made of, or her limitations as a toy. He is simply happy to have her with him. Maybe it is comfort, attachment, or whatever. But to Noah - she is real.
The thing that I find so beautiful about it is that he really believes in the magic of it all - so much so, that he doesn't realize that there is any magic involved. And I have found that if I look hard enough in my life - that the magic is so real, and all around. It is my sincere hope that my children will always be able to hold on tightly to that belief - the belief in magic - and that they will know that the things that really matter in life are rarely visible to the naked eye - much less easily explained.
Jessie doesn't have a real brain, or a heart, and the only way she can talk is by pulling her string. But she is very real.
Comments