Skip to main content

Boundaries are Necessary.

So, this blog is coming up on its fourth birthday next month. I have mixed emotions about that fact. I have always been a writer, and LOVE to journal and reflect - so this has been my forum for that process for some time now. But I certainly do not use this blog to document most of what happens in my life. This is not the place for that. Here I try to document for my own historical record how being a part of this family shapes me, motivates me, and changes me. The honest reason that my journal for these things needs to be in blog form presently is because to click a button that says "PUBLISH" disciplines me more than any other journal I have ever had. For that reason, I have stuck with this - and I have been a consistent writer.
But lately I have thinking a lot about the boundaries that we create in our lives. Jessica being a counselor, and my being a teacher - boundaries are something that we have to talk about a lot. And there have been many times in our lives where we had to learn the hard way that boundaries are important, useful, and necessary tools in our trades. So what should fall into the category of "private life?" Boundaries are important. Good fences do indeed make good neighbors. (which reminds me - we are actually building a brand new fence at our house this week).

In a year filled with big decisions, and cathartic realizations - Jessica and both realized that spending time with our family was the most important thing that we could ever do - and that in order to do that best, we needed to simplify our lives. We also realized that when you build a community around you, that you need to choose that community with direct intention. If it does take a village to raise your children, then which village to do you want to do the raising? We answered that question with a move to our new house. As embarrassing as it is to say, aside from our move to Asheville in 1999, this is the first time that we have began a move with a specific end in mind. Before that, we just moved for more space, or more convenience, or whatever. We were not making very intentional decisions either way. And it has been a HUGE step in a specific direction for us to take.



And already, it has afforded us so much more time with each other, our children, and our community of friends - both old and new. And we are where we want to be - taking walks, painting things, drinking lemonade on the porch swing, and strolling to the farmer's market for fresh veggies. I feel at home.

All of this is great, but when one has been a teacher in this community for eleven years - it brings us to the question of boundaries. And even more specifically the boundaries that separate my private, family life with my professional life, in which I work with the youth of this community. In the two short weeks we have lived in the heart of this community - it is not uncommon for parents of my students to stroll by my house, and talk shop. It seems like I have taught (or am currently teaching) every cashier and bagger at the grocery store. Even the pharmacist is a former student of mine. We went into this with our eyes wide open, and were quite aware of the lay of the land. So, none of this is surprising - just an opportunity for us to talk about how we want to handle it. And we know that we are creating boundaries that will help all of us live happier, and more fulfilled lives. It will be a process for us, and what in which we will learn a lot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burrito Bracket

Eating a ginormous burrito at El Farolito in San Francisco, 2004 I LOVE burritos.  It is a passion that I share with my brother, and we actively seek out a quality burrito in almost every place we visit (Jessica is more of a Fish Taco kind of gal, but she enjoys burritos as well).  My love affair began around the age of 18, in the parking lots of Phish shows - where I could find any number of amazing burritos, cooked up on a dirty Coleman stove.  I just loved the explosion of flavor (and surprise) that came with each burrito I ate in those years. One of the the first times I visited Asheville for a few days in college, I came across Rio Burrito, a now defunct burrito-specific shop on Biltmore Avenue.  I went there all the time, and got to know all the nice folk who worked there.  So, I was quite disappointed when they shut it down - so much so that I wrote about it here.   But when Mamacitas opened in downtown Asheville in Spring 2004, I was smitten...

Best of 2024

Ben Graham's 2024 Mixtape (The Best Songs of {mostly} 2024) Can You See Me Tonight  - Good Looks Misses - Domnic Fike Birdseed  - Merce Lemon Right Back to it - Waxahatchee Alien - Dehd When I Learned Your Name - Daniel Romano Away From the Castle  - Video Age One Bad Day - Spacey Jane That's What Time Does - Oso Oso Never Meant - Iron and Wine Big Blue - Hovvdy Deeper Well - Kacey Musgraves Where Were You - Tyler Ramsey Waiting and Waiting - Bonny Light Horseman She's Leaving You - MJ Lenderman Sexy to Someone - Clairo Stained Glass Window - Sunday 1994 Flowers - Real Estate Taste  - Sabrina Carpenter Run Your Mouth - Marias All I Ever Wanted  - Ivy LUNCH - Billie Eilish That's How I'm Feeling - Jack White Jerkin - Amyl & The Sniffers Burning (Live...Again) - War in Drugs Top Albums of 2024: Lived Here For a While  by Good Looks Poetry  by Dehd Watch Me Drive Them Dogs Wild  by Merce Lemon Tigers Blood  - Waxahatchee To...

Im 30....seriously.

I am turning 30 today. So in the spirit of reflecting on these first 30 years of living, I am starting this blog. So, to begin - I shall update my status in life (this sounds complicated, so I will just try this in "list form."): Noah = greatest thing that ever happened to me. having a child was like an act of god, immediatly enacting a revolution on my perspective. Everyone tells you that " it is going to change everything." But I think I internalized that in a way that seemed to say ... things outside of me would change ie: schedules, sleeping, finaces, etc. Those things do change. But I did not accept that it would be ME that would go through the most profound changes. What I mean is, that the world itself has not shifted, but my view of that world (like Picasso in his Cubist period) has been transformed. It has been a traumatic shift for me, but in a beautiful way. Stop everything. "Icky Thump" by the White Stripes just came on the ipod. Sweet Jesus t...