We have officially moved. It feels wonderful, and as though we just leaped right in to the embrace of our downtown Weaverville community. As we spent our first few days in the new house unpacking, building things, hanging things, repairing things, and replacing things - we were continually greeted by new neighbors and old friends who live in the neighborhood. They all spoiled us with help, tasty treats, and beverages to make the move go down a bit more smoothly. It made us feel great, and their generosity really helped us feel comforted and (almost) sane. And though it is clear that when looking at that mountain of boxes throughout our living room and dining room we will not be done for some time, we rest easy with the knowledge that we are very lucky people, and still feel overwhelmed by this whole experience. Noah has taken to the house like a kid in a candy store - and is even more taken with our new neighbors. Avery is also living it up, but is having much trouble sleeping at night - which is wearing all of us out. He is just unsure of what is going on - and (in retrospect) we probably could have done a better job trying to explain it all to him. So, we are trying to be patient, and help him get comfortable in his new abode. Add to that the fact that we have a contractor starting work on our upstairs bathroom addition next week - and things remain turbulent. But all for the best, as we are right where we want to be. Honestly though - it is hard for me to have any sort of quality reflection at this point, because I feel like I am still on the roller coaster that is a move. But I can feel the brakes slowing me down, and I can see the platform on which I will step soon. There are so many questions that I have had constantly running in my head over the past few months - and now, with our move complete, many of these are (seemingly) being answered. But as for the ones that remain unanswered - if I am not careful I will allow them to consume me. So, it was with a welcoming heart that I heard this quote from the German poet Rilke yesterday: "Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart, and try to love the questions themselves... Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you will not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live . . . into the answer. "
We have officially moved. It feels wonderful, and as though we just leaped right in to the embrace of our downtown Weaverville community. As we spent our first few days in the new house unpacking, building things, hanging things, repairing things, and replacing things - we were continually greeted by new neighbors and old friends who live in the neighborhood. They all spoiled us with help, tasty treats, and beverages to make the move go down a bit more smoothly. It made us feel great, and their generosity really helped us feel comforted and (almost) sane. And though it is clear that when looking at that mountain of boxes throughout our living room and dining room we will not be done for some time, we rest easy with the knowledge that we are very lucky people, and still feel overwhelmed by this whole experience. Noah has taken to the house like a kid in a candy store - and is even more taken with our new neighbors. Avery is also living it up, but is having much trouble sleeping at night - which is wearing all of us out. He is just unsure of what is going on - and (in retrospect) we probably could have done a better job trying to explain it all to him. So, we are trying to be patient, and help him get comfortable in his new abode. Add to that the fact that we have a contractor starting work on our upstairs bathroom addition next week - and things remain turbulent. But all for the best, as we are right where we want to be. Honestly though - it is hard for me to have any sort of quality reflection at this point, because I feel like I am still on the roller coaster that is a move. But I can feel the brakes slowing me down, and I can see the platform on which I will step soon. There are so many questions that I have had constantly running in my head over the past few months - and now, with our move complete, many of these are (seemingly) being answered. But as for the ones that remain unanswered - if I am not careful I will allow them to consume me. So, it was with a welcoming heart that I heard this quote from the German poet Rilke yesterday: "Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart, and try to love the questions themselves... Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you will not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live . . . into the answer. "
Comments