Skip to main content

Why We Go Small.

So, Jessica and I spent most of our time yesterday packing up our belongings. I joked that it seems like we have given away more things than we have actually packed up. And the honest thing is that it feels great to give away so much stuff, because we DO NOT NEED all of this stuff. In 10 days we are moving into a house that is roughly the same square footage as our current home. But our current home has a lot of storage space, while our new house (like most homes built in the 1920s) has virtually no storage space, save a small basement and outdoor shed.
So over the last month we have given away: two dressers, a pullout couch, one entire carload of old books, a computer desk, two outdoor slides, 5 car loads of toys that the boys have outgrown, so many clothes that I can not begin to count, etc. (This list is only a sample, and should be seen as comprehensive:)

And after emptying out so much of the above - guess what we have missed? Nothing. Nada. Rien.

As previously noted, Jessica and I are both reading Organized Simplicity. While reading last night, I came across this staggering statistic: The average American home in 1950 was 983 square feet and, according to Census data, the average American household size was 3.37 people. In 2010, the average square feet was 2135, and the average American household had shrunk to 2.59 (and now typically has more televisions than people in each home). Wow.

So While enjoying the best barbecue, collards, cornbread, mac n cheese, and grits I have had in 6 months at the great 12 Bones by the river, Jessica and I discussed these statistics at length. I think I speak for both of us when I say that we have been on the hamster wheel for a few years (to be fair, we have been sleep deprived, and enjoying a pointed focus on raising our children). And that it sometimes led us to lead distracted lives, and at times we failed to ask the questions that we should have been asking, like: why do we need to fill up our basement with three tables that we have never used? Why do our children have over 40 stuffed animals, most of whom they do not even know that they own? Why do we need a master bedroom that is larger than our living room?


So now we are asking those questions. And the answer is: We do not need hardly anything at all (except maybe another plate of barbecue for 12 Bones!). Now I am not attempting to romanticize the 1950s, as I do not think that the American public was perfect in 1950, nor do I believe that smaller homes necessarily lead to happier families. But for the record, a new average home in the United Kingdom is 815 square feet, which is almost a third of the size of an American house - and it is not like the British are all falling a part because of it. If form follows function, then we want to be in a living space that puts us in closer proximity to our family. I want the children to to be in my space. That is why I had children in the first place, ya know? And though I realize that I sound like a broken record - we have made an intentional decision to pair down, and simplify - and it feels great.

Are there things/habits/stuff that you have gotten rid of that made you happier?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burrito Bracket

Eating a ginormous burrito at El Farolito in San Francisco, 2004 I LOVE burritos.  It is a passion that I share with my brother, and we actively seek out a quality burrito in almost every place we visit (Jessica is more of a Fish Taco kind of gal, but she enjoys burritos as well).  My love affair began around the age of 18, in the parking lots of Phish shows - where I could find any number of amazing burritos, cooked up on a dirty Coleman stove.  I just loved the explosion of flavor (and surprise) that came with each burrito I ate in those years. One of the the first times I visited Asheville for a few days in college, I came across Rio Burrito, a now defunct burrito-specific shop on Biltmore Avenue.  I went there all the time, and got to know all the nice folk who worked there.  So, I was quite disappointed when they shut it down - so much so that I wrote about it here.   But when Mamacitas opened in downtown Asheville in Spring 2004, I was smitten...

Best of 2024

Ben Graham's 2024 Mixtape (The Best Songs of {mostly} 2024) Can You See Me Tonight  - Good Looks Misses - Domnic Fike Birdseed  - Merce Lemon Right Back to it - Waxahatchee Alien - Dehd When I Learned Your Name - Daniel Romano Away From the Castle  - Video Age One Bad Day - Spacey Jane That's What Time Does - Oso Oso Never Meant - Iron and Wine Big Blue - Hovvdy Deeper Well - Kacey Musgraves Where Were You - Tyler Ramsey Waiting and Waiting - Bonny Light Horseman She's Leaving You - MJ Lenderman Sexy to Someone - Clairo Stained Glass Window - Sunday 1994 Flowers - Real Estate Taste  - Sabrina Carpenter Run Your Mouth - Marias All I Ever Wanted  - Ivy LUNCH - Billie Eilish That's How I'm Feeling - Jack White Jerkin - Amyl & The Sniffers Burning (Live...Again) - War in Drugs Top Albums of 2024: Lived Here For a While  by Good Looks Poetry  by Dehd Watch Me Drive Them Dogs Wild  by Merce Lemon Tigers Blood  - Waxahatchee To...

Im 30....seriously.

I am turning 30 today. So in the spirit of reflecting on these first 30 years of living, I am starting this blog. So, to begin - I shall update my status in life (this sounds complicated, so I will just try this in "list form."): Noah = greatest thing that ever happened to me. having a child was like an act of god, immediatly enacting a revolution on my perspective. Everyone tells you that " it is going to change everything." But I think I internalized that in a way that seemed to say ... things outside of me would change ie: schedules, sleeping, finaces, etc. Those things do change. But I did not accept that it would be ME that would go through the most profound changes. What I mean is, that the world itself has not shifted, but my view of that world (like Picasso in his Cubist period) has been transformed. It has been a traumatic shift for me, but in a beautiful way. Stop everything. "Icky Thump" by the White Stripes just came on the ipod. Sweet Jesus t...