
I have been thinking about a few things lately. I was recently reminded, at my school, that there still exist a handful of teachers who have virtually no respect for me as an educator. Why, you ask? Well, I embody a certain type of unorthdox teaching methods - to put it lightly. I believe in yelling out historical information, singing songs, dancing, listening to Fugazi, drawing, acting, making movies, designing, gaming, thinking, and pushing the envelope virtually every minute of every day. Needless to say, there are many educators who find my approach ridiculous. I am not so naive to beleive that my approach does not generate criticism - or even ridicule. So, I have to not only believe in what I do, but I have to know why I believe it. Normally this is no problem, but increased criticism leads me to increased reflection. Right now is one of those times.
It is nothing new though - far from it. Within two years of the start of my teaching career, I had become a somewhat polarizing figure at school. It seemed the more that students liked me, the less the faculty did. I was honored and respected by many, only to be shunned by others. When I was elected Teacher of the Year in my third year - one group of my fellow teachers stopped talking to me entirely for about two years. Seriously. The criticism grew to a fever pitch - with one teacher berating me for wearing Chuck Taylors to our graduation
But, then again, on some level I can understand it. I mean, if one was to ONLY see my classes operate from a distance, without actually being in the classroom, or actively engaging in our methods - it would seem odd and ridiculous. But I believe in this style. It has continually reaped benefits for my students in formalized assessments, understanding, love of history, and a sense of belonging. It hurts me to think that there are individuals who, not only have a negative view of my approach, but have based their opinions only on a limited view of the process. But what am I going to do? I mean, I am trying to take my teaching to the next level. If it means sitting at my desk and giving worksheets, then that is what I will do. The problem is, that approach does not work for my students, or for me. So it goes. I mean, if I am starting out my classes with the following quote (by Shel Silverstein), what can I expect, huh?
"If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...If you're a pretender, come sit by the fire. For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! "
Comments
ps I have had the same Shel poem on my counseling room door since I began working.
d
It means a lot coming from you. We are so proud of you for getting Teacher of the Year! You must really make an amazing impression as a counselor to get such an honor. It doesn't surpise us - it is just nice to know that others are catching up! :)