Dear Wife: Thank you for having enough faith in me to marry me in 2001, even though I was a young punk who was a bit arrogant, and had experienced little. You had enough trust in the world to believe that I would make good decisions, and learn from my mistakes, and not screw up too much. I did the same for you. I loved you then, but I love you more now.
We have now spent over a third of our lives together, and have created the best experiences in our time together. As importantly, we have made and are raising the two most beautiful humans on earth. And as much as we love each other, and commit, and build our lives together, we know that can frustrate each other as well. I now believe that there is no such thing as being "married" - as though that word indicates a static state - one without movement, struggle, growth, or change. Our marriage is not that.
Our marriage is: a commitment to each other, and a process of becoming better people, of making mistakes, asking for - and receiving - and granting forgiveness.
Our marriage is: creating roots, building community, and living with intention.
Our marriage is: about being honest with each other, and pushing each other beyond the point of comfort, so that we grow.
Our marriage is: about having faith in all things, even a blind faith that you (and me) will be up to all of our challenges tomorrow, and will not screw it up too badly.
Our marriage is: deep, and beautiful, and hard work, and challenging, and renewing.
Dear Wife: Thank you for having enough faith in me to marry me in 2001, even though I was a young punk who was a bit arrogant, and had experienced little. You had enough trust in the world to believe that I would make good decisions, and learn from my mistakes, and not screw up too much. I did the same for you. I loved you then, but I love you more now.
We have now spent over a third of our lives together, and have created the best experiences in our time together. As importantly, we have made and are raising the two most beautiful humans on earth. And as much as we love each other, and commit, and build our lives together, we know that can frustrate each other as well. I now believe that there is no such thing as being "married" - as though that word indicates a static state - one without movement, struggle, growth, or change. Our marriage is not that.
Our marriage is: a commitment to each other, and a process of becoming better people, of making mistakes, asking for - and receiving - and granting forgiveness.
Our marriage is: creating roots, building community, and living with intention.
Our marriage is: about being honest with each other, and pushing each other beyond the point of comfort, so that we grow.
Our marriage is: about having faith in all things, even a blind faith that you (and me) will be up to all of our challenges tomorrow, and will not screw it up too badly.
Our marriage is: deep, and beautiful, and hard work, and challenging, and renewing.
Comments