One of the things that I have learned in teaching is that the learner has to be curious about the content. So, mission number one is ALWAYS to create curiosity, and/or generate an interest. This is why I find it so brilliant that Noah's Pre-K teachers use Holidays to teach the kids about crucial things. In example, they are presently using the kids' interest in Thanksgiving to accomplish two things: 1. Teach the early history of British Colonial settlement, and the nature of relations between Natives and Europeans, and 2. Teach the kids about generosity, and giving to those in need.Noah came home yesterday and not only told us that many Native Americans were able to manufacture clothes out of animal skins, but that we need to get in gear and bring some canned food to the food drive, or people will not have enough to eat. I am proud of Noah for taking it in, but I am as impressed with his teachers for creating an environment where kids gain a more complete understanding of their world, and their individual place in it. Hats Off.
Comments