So this past Saturday was a challenging day with our little Avery. Though I have been somewhat slow to admit it, he is a feisty little boy, who sometimes has to be handled with kid gloves. He is more aggressive than we are used to, and truly has the loudest scream I have ever heard (which is frustrating, but also kind of impressive). And when he gets angry, or is tired - or is tired AND angry... he shakes our house like an earthquake.Jessica and I explore various theories as to why Avery is a bit more of a "handful" than Noah was at this age - including ideas about birth order, nature v/s nurture, etc. We are sensitive in trying not to compare our children, but often times, one's earlier experiences with children become the baseline upon which we base our new experiences. So, it is fair to say that Noah is our baseline. And this Saturday, Avery pushed us to our wits end, with his tantrums, screaming, and general bad mood. And in the end, none of the theories as to why he sometimes acts the way that he acts even matter - we just have to be better at handling him, and creating a quality environment for him.
So, on Saturday night Jessica and I worked on a new plan for our weekend mornings. Like Noah before him (baseline comment), Avery just seems to need a routine. And the weekends are not necessarily conducive to steady routines - especially considering that I have too much energy to sit still for longer than 5 minutes at a time. So, our new plan is a more routine Saturday morning. It worked well on Sunday, let's see what happens next weekend.
Any suggestions?
Comments