So, having just completed this semester's teaching of World War II, I have been in a very Anglophile mindset. So, in the midst of this "love of all things British" moment - the wife directed me to this poster: "Keep Calm and Carry On." I love it, as I find it both comforting and practical.It was a poster designed and distributed by the British Government in 1939, at the start of World War II in Europe. It was to be posted in times of “crisis or invasion.” And as we all have times of "crisis and invasion" in our lives, it is helpful to have some instructions, isn't it? (In case you missed it, sometimes I am a big fan of simply having some good, solid instructions to follow, for more check this old post.) These days it strikes me just how beautiful this phrase is, and how it gets straight to the heart of the matter, especially in times of struggle. (and I am not the only one, check out this article in the Manchester Guardian about its increasing usage). It also just has such a British-ness to it, doesn't it?
So, hey British Government employees of 1939 - thanks for at least making me feel better 71 years later.
Comments